Homemade Chili – If you are looking for comfort in a bowl this winter, look no further than this homemade chili recipe. This super comforting dish is delicious and packed with hearty flavors. Make sure you add this easy recipe to your repertoire—you’ll be so glad you did!
HOMEMADE CHILI RECIPE WITH BLACK BEANS
Out of all the varieties of chili, this one takes the cake for being the most popular because it’s simple to make and absolutely delicious. One bite of this homemade chili will bring you instant comfort.
The hearty flavors combined with the bold spices will make your tastebuds dance. Enjoy the chili during the weeknight for a simple dinner or save it for the weekend and make a big pot on the stove.
There is never a wrong time to eat chili. You can eat it for dinner during the week or make a big batch on the weekend. Chili is great as leftovers as well, so you can continue to enjoy it all week long.
THE GROUND BEEF
The homemade chili gets all of its heartiness from all of the protein. The ground beef, plus the addition of the black and kidney beans, make for a super fulfilling dish. I use 90% lean ground beef for this recipe, so I do not have to drain the meat. You can use any meat to fat percentage for making your chili but bear in mind that you will need to drain out the excess fat.
This chili has a very balanced spice blend which includes a jalapeño and chili powder. If you are not a fan of spice you can adjust the seasoning to your liking. The same goes if you would like to add more heat to the chili.
A VERY VERSATILE RECIPE – YOU CAN PAIR IT WITH SO MANY SIDES
This dish can be eaten on its own, served with crusty bread, or served as the filling in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and even empanadas. It’s a great comfort food and the perfect addition to any cold day! And the best part? You don’t have to use expensive cuts of meat to make it great. You can even make your own ground beef.
WHAT KIND OF PEPPERS ARE USED IN MAKING CHILI?
My recipe calls for two kinds of bell peppers. However, this is only because I could not make a decision! If you are more decisive, pick one kind of pepper or go with both. If you choose to use just one, use the whole pepper instead of half.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHILI
- Onion time: Heat a large soup pot with oil and add in the onion. Cook it for about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until it becomes translucent.
- Focus on the meat: Add the ground beef to the pot and break it up with a wooden spoon. When the meat is in pieces, add the chili powder and continue to cook for about five minutes.
- Veggie time: Add in all of the peppers, garlic, jalapeño, and celery. Let them cook together for about 3 minutes. When they start to soften, add in the diced tomatoes with all of their juices and the spices. Mix well and make sure everything is combined.
- Almost there: Add in the beans and broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COOK CHILI?
The chili takes a little under an hour to come together as long as the means is precooked. You can either use the canned beans or cook the beans yourself. You can easily make this during the week or let it simmer on the stove during the weekend.
WHAT KIND OF MEAT SHOULD I USE TO MAKE CHILI?
This chili uses 90% lean ground beef. However, any variety of meat will work in the recipe. Use ground turkey, pork, or even substitute tofu for vegetarian chili. Depending on how lean the meat is, you may need to drain it to avoid getting too fatty.
WHAT KIND OF TOPPINGS CAN YOU PUT ON CHILI?
Classic chill toppings like sour cream or cheddar cheese will taste great on top of a big bowl of this chili.
WHAT SIDE DISHES CAN I SERVE WITH CHILI
- I used two varieties of bell peppers because I couldn’t decide which one to use. So I used half of each. You can use a whole one if you are better at decision-making. 🙂
- I did not drain by beef because I used very lean beef. However, if the meat you choose is fatty, you can drain it if you wish.
More hearty soups and stew recipes
Here are some of my favorites to make once you’ve perfected this chili.
- Easy Chicken Peanut Soup
- Stewed Beans (Ewa Riro)
- Jamaican Oxtails
- Okro pepper soup
- African Pepper Soup