This Chicken Shawarma is packed with bright, delicious flavors and contrasting textures, and it takes just 30 minutes or less to make! Serve them in pita wraps, tortilla wraps or, lettuce cups for a low-carb option.
CHICKEN SHAWARMA RECIPE
If you’re craving authentic shawarma, but you don’t want to hit the streets or go to the local takeout place, then try making this chicken shawarma recipe at home! The best part about it is that this chicken shawarma recipe comes together quickly and easily, so you can enjoy it whenever the mood strikes! To make delicious shawarma at home, just follow the steps below.
What is Shawarma?
A little Background
I first tasted shawarma, when I was in my early twenties and I immediately fell in love with it.
After I left home, I have been thinking about making my own homemade Shawarma. Not the middle eastern version but the type I ate in the days. I’ve finally gotten around to experimenting with my own recipe and documenting it.
After getting a hang of it, I served it to my family and they enjoyed the experience. That is why this recipe is very special to me and the rest of my family and I hope you like it as much as I do.
Sauces for Shawarma
While Tahini sauce or Yogurt sauce are the most common sauces used for Shawarma recipes, I will like to introduce you to a delectable easy to put together African Shawarma sauce (especially in Nigeria).
We use a mixture of Ketchup and Mayonnaise. A hint of pepper is kind of a must in making this Shawarma sauce, so I used a little bit of Cayenne pepper. Red pepper flakes will work just as well. If you don’t want that extra little heat, then you can skip it.
How do you eat Chicken Shawarma?
While wraps are the most common way to serve shawarma, they can also be used in Chicken salad, for sandwiches, served over Rice, and you can also snack on it!
Serving Shawarma in Crunchy Lettuce cups is also a delightful change of pace from the regular. It’s a good alternative for low carb eaters without compromise on taste.
You can see how I made my pita wraps here.
NOTES FOR CHICKEN SHAWARMA RECIPE
- You can replace Chicken with either Turkey, Beef, Veal, Lamb, Goat or a mixture of two or more of these meats.
- You can also skip Hot dog if you prefer. Some also like to add French fries to theirs.
- I used Tortilla wraps and Pita bread for this recipe, but other flatbreads such as Chapati or Roti will work well.
- Make sure to pat dry the chicken before adding the spices because excess water in the Chicken will water down the spices.
- I used boneless and skinless chicken thighs because it yields a nice taste and texture after cooking (my own opinion).
- You can skip the seasoning powder if you want to just replace it with about 1/4Tsp of salt or simply add salt to taste.
If you liked this Easy Homemade Chicken Shawarma recipe, you may also like some of my other oven grilled recipes:
If you make this Chicken Shawarma recipe, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook. #cheflolaskitchen