These days, hot chocolate bombs are all the rage, and there’s a really good reason for it — not only are they fun, but they’re also delicious! What’s not to love about that? These mocha bombs have a hard chocolate shell and the centers are filled with hot chocolate, coffee granules, and marshmallows. Let us tell you, it totally hits the spot. They’re much like a hot cocoa bomb, except these have some coffee in the mix. Whether you’d enjoy this tasty drink for breakfast or as an after-dinner dessert, there’s always a good reason to indulge. Another positive thing about these cute bombs is that anyone from kids to adults can enjoy them.
Recipe developer Susan Olayinka of The Flexible Fridge is the mastermind behind these mocha bombs, and we cannot thank her enough for making the introduction. This just proves that you don’t have to go to a specialty store and spend a bunch of money on cocoa bombs when you can easily make them in the comfort of your own home! When asked her favorite part, Olayinka says it was simply putting these treats together: “I felt so crafty!” Keep reading to find out how to whip together this unique recipe.
Gather the ingredients to make mocha bombs
The first thing you need to do is gather all of the necessary ingredients to make this recipe. There are not a lot of things that you will need, and most of them involve chocolate — we like to call that a win-win. Start with a few ounces of milk chocolate, followed by some hot chocolate powder. While you’re at the store, you will also need to grab some instant coffee granules and white granulated sugar. Check first for items you may have at home. Next, get 36 mini marshmallows and a little bit of white chocolate. Last but not least, you will need some chocolate sprinkles.
Melt the chocolate and add it to the molds
Start the recipe by dumping your milk chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl. Place the bowl with the chocolate the microwave for about 30 seconds until the chocolate fully melts. If it still needs a little more time to melt, you can pop it back in for a few more seconds, but be sure to check frequently so it doesn’t burn.
Then, take out the chocolate bomb, and spoon about two tablespoons of melted chocolate into each. Use the same spoon to spread the chocolate covering the molds, and repeat this process until you cover all of the molds. “The two trays have 6 molds each,” Olayinka says of the molds she used. Keep in mind that each mold only covers half of a bomb — so, while Olayinka filled 12 molds total, the yield for this recipe will be six bombs total.
Freeze the chocolate and make the filling
Place the molds in the freezer for 30 minutes. This gives them a little bit of time to harden so they’re easier to work with. It also speeds up the process since it would take the chocolate way longer to harden at room temperature. Then, grab a small mixing bowl and toss in the hot chocolate powder, coffee granules, and white granulated sugar. Mix everything, so it combines well. “It taste like hot chocolate with notes of coffee,” Olayinka says of the taste. “It’s the perfect blend!” Doesn’t that sound incredible?
Remove the bombs from molds and combine
Grab the molds from the freezer and begin to remove the chocolate. Now, you should have some semi-circles. Keep them on the counter in front of you, and in the meantime, get a microwave-safe plate and warm it in the microwave for 2 minutes to get it nice and hot.
Then, take one of the semi-circles and place it, open side-down, onto the plate, so it melts slightly. Next, place the powder mix and marshmallows in the center. “About 1 tablespoon,” of the powder mix is good, Olayinka notes. Then, get the other end of the sphere and place it onto the plate so it melts a bit and connect the two sides. Repeat the process with the remaining bombs.
Decorate the mocha bombs with white chocolate and sprinkles
Here’s the part where your white chocolate comes into play. Stick the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. If you need to warm it for a few more seconds, you can do so. Then, remove the bowl from the microwave and place it into a piping bag with a small tip or nozzle. Pipe the white chocolate into a criss-cross pattern onto one of the mocha bombs and sprinkle immediately with sprinkles. Repeat the process with the remaining bombs.
Serve and enjoy
Now comes the best part of the recipe — getting to enjoy all of your hard work and efforts. Simply get a mug filled with hot milk and drop the mocha bomb right in. The hot milk will melt the chocolate and give you a nice cup of mocha hot chocolate. This is great on its own, but you can also add different toppings like whipped cream and even more sprinkles. These will keep for a while too, meaning you can definitely make them ahead of time. “2-4 months it’ll be good,” Olayinka shares, reminding everyone to store in an airtight container. We hope you love this delicious mocha bombs recipe as much as we do!
Mocha Bombs Recipe
These mocha bombs have a hard chocolate shell and the centers are filled with hot chocolate, coffee granules, and marshmallows.
- 7 ounces milk chocolate
- 3 tablespoons hot chocolate powder
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 36 mini marshmallows
- 1 ½ ounces white chocolate
- 1 tablespoon chocolate sprinkles
- Begin the recipe by melting the milk chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Get the bomb molds and spoon 2 teaspoons of melted chocolate into each well.
- Use the same spoon to spread the chocolate across the surface of each well. Repeat the process until 12 wells within the molds are covered.
- Place the molds in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Get a small mixing bowl and place into it the hot chocolate powder, coffee granules, and white granulated sugar. Mix these ingredients together.
- Take the bomb molds out and remove the chocolate semi-circles from each well.
- Get a plate and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes, so it is hot.
- Get 1 of the milk chocolate semi-circles and place it open side-down onto the plate for it to melt slightly. Add in about 1 tablespoon of hot chocolate powder and marshmallows.
- Grab the other half and place it onto the plate so that it melts slightly and cover the mocha bomb, forming a sphere.
- Repeat the process with the 5 remaining molds.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds and put it into a piping bag with a small tip nozzle.
- Pipe the white chocolate into a criss-cross pattern onto 1 of the mocha bombs and immediately sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Repeat the process with the 5 remaining molds.
- Place the finished mocha bomb into a cup of hot milk, stir, and enjoy.
|Calories per Serving||376|
|Total Fat||12.4 g|
|Saturated Fat||7.6 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||64.3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1.3 g|
|Total Sugars||51.0 g|