Turmeric Rice is one of the most basic yet delicious rice recipes to prepare in your kitchen. There’s no tomato stew to make in this recipe so what can stop you from preparing this rice dish?
How to Cook Turmeric Rice [Video]
Also check out:
Beef Mince Jollof Rice
Smoky Party Jollof Rice without Firewood
Nigerian Party Jollof Rice
Nigerian Fried Rice
Mixed Vegetable Jollof Rice
Rice and Beans
- Long grain parboiled rice
- If you are in the USA/UK, use 2 cups.
- If you are in Nigeria, use ½ De Rica cup.
- If you have a weighing scale, use 350g or 0.8lbs.
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Nigerian curry powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 small red onion
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- A small quantity of red pepper
- A handful green peas
- Salt (to taste)
Notes on the ingredients
This following image shows the quantities of some of the ingredients used.
- Use enough turmeric powder to colour the rice. Please note that the rice may not look so yellow when you add the parboiled rice to the turmeric mix in the pot but when the rice is done, it will become very yellow.
- Turmeric is known as yellow ginger in Nigeria. It is known as ajo or ata ile pupa in Yoruba and kurkum in Hausa. You can buy turmeric powder in big supermarkets eg Shoprite in Nigeria.
- I used chicken stock for this recipe because I served the rice with Onion Baked Chicken. I used soft chicken which I baked from raw so no boiling of the chicken done to get some chicken stock. This means that for taste, I added chicken stock which I always have in my freezer. I get this chicken stock when I prepare side dishes like Peppered Chicken.
If you want to prepare this with Fried Chicken or Grilled Chicken, cook the chicken with thyme, onions, stock cubes and whatever else you use to season your chicken. Then add the water from cooking that chicken (chicken stock) to the rice during Step 1 in the cooking directions.
- If you are in Nigeria, red bell peppers are available in big foreign supermarkets. Use tatashe as alternative to the red pepper. The quantity of red pepper you need is so small, see the video below.
Before you cook Turmeric Rice or Yellow Rice
- Rinse and cut the red onions into small pieces.
- Rinse, remove the seeds and cut the red pepper into small pieces.
- Prepare the chicken you will serve it with. You can serve with Peppered Chicken or Onion Baked Chicken.
- Parboil the long grain parboiled rice. For the quantity of rice stated above, add to boiling water, stir, cover the pot and once it boils again, leave to boil for 10 minutes or till you can easily cut the grain of rice with your finger nails.
- Pour the chicken stock into a sizeable pot.
- Add the turmeric powder, Nigerian curry powder and black pepper.
- Cover and cook till it boils.
- Add the parboiled rice, stir and make sure that the liquid in the pot is at the same level as the rice. If not, top it up.
- Taste for salt and add some if necessary. Stir, cover again and start cooking on medium heat.
- If you parboiled the rice correctly as described above, the rice should be done by the time the water dries up. Taste to confirm. If not, you will need to add more water and reduce the heat to prevent burning. Continue cooking.
- When you can no longer see the water in the rice, add the diced red pepper, onions and green peas. Stir only the top of the rice, cover and continue cooking.
- The rice is done when all the water dries up.
- Stir with a spatula till the vegetables and the rice are well combined.
- That’s it!
Click here to send me your feedback and questions about preparing this Turmeric Rice.