- 14 chicken drumettes
- 1 small mango or one cheek of a big mango
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 habanero pepper
- 3 small seasoning cubes (chicken flavour)
Notes on the ingredients
- Use soft chicken (cockerel or rooster) for this.
- I used onion powder so as not to have pieces of onions on the chicken. YOu can used blended fresh onions.
- You can add any other fresh seasoning of your choice: onions, garlic etc but grind them very well so the pieces do not stand out.
Directions for making Barbecue Chicken Drumsticks
- Blend the onion powder, thyme, black pepper and seasoining cubes (crushed) with a dry mill or spice grinder to turn them into fine powder.
- Clean the chicken, removing all tiny feathers and rinse thoroughly.
- Place in a bowl and add the blended spices and herbs from step 1 above.
- Mix very will till everything is well incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with aluminium foil or thin plastic film and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to marinate.
- After one hour, place them in a oven tray and bake in the oven at 200°C or 400F for 30 minutes.
- While that is baking, peel the mango and chop into small pieces.
- Deseed the habanero pepper and chop into tiny pieces.
- Blend the mango and pepper with an immersion blender. When done add the salt to improve the flavour and mix well.
- After 30 minutes of baking the chicken, use a brush to rub some of the mango blend all over the chicken, turn them around to ensure every side is coated with the mango blend.
- Put back in the oven for about 5 minutes and apply another coat.
- After a total of 10 minutes, it’s ok to take it out of the oven.
ServeThat’s it! Serve with the remaining mango blend as dip. Enjoy it as appetizer or as a snack with a chilled drink.