You may have cooked Moi Moi with leaves, Moi Moi with aluminium foil bags, baked Nigerian Moi Moi but have you cooked Moi Moi with tins??? Tins are the original Moi Moi contains from back in the day when recycled tomato paste tins and recycled milk tins were used by Moi Moi hawkers to cook Moi Moi. Oh, the feeling of scooping the Moi Moi from those tins eh? Or is it scrapping the last bits? Oh my days!
With this recipe on this page, you can relive those experiences or experience it with the old skool geng if you have not. You can easily make this dish vegan too. See the notes on Tinned Moi Moi ingredients for details.
Watch the video: How to Cook Moi Moi with Tins [Video]
- How to cook Moi Moi with Bowls
- How to make Aluminium Foil Bags
- How to cook Moi Moi with Leaves
- How to Peel Beans with a Blender
Tinned Moi Moi Ingredients
- 2 cups black eyed beans
- 1 to 2 sweet peppers (fresh paprika) or tatashe
- Habanero or Scotch bonnet pepper (to your taste)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 to 2 tbsp ground crayfish
- 1 big seasoning cube
- Salt (to taste)
- Moi Moi accessories (optional)
- corned beef
- bits of meat
You will need Moi Moi Bowls or Tins
- Buy Moi Moi Tins from Amazon USA
- Buy Moi Moi Tins from Amazon UK
- Buy Moi Moi Bowls with cover from Jumia Nigeria
- You can also buy Moi Moi Bowls with cover from Nigeria Markets.
Notes on the Tinned Moi Moi Ingredients
- You can also use the brown oloyin/honey beans sold in Nigeria.
- Use a tasteless and odourless vegetable oil for the classic taste and flavour.
- The seasoning cube (bouillon cube) can be either fish or beef flavoured.
- You can make this meal vegan or vegetarian by skipping the crayfish and replacing the seasoning cube with whatever you use as seasoning for your meals.
- You can skip the crayfish and add more seasoning cube if you are allergic or you can’t buy crayfish where you live.
Watch the detailed video below for direction, tricks and tips on how to prepare Moi Moi with tins or Moi Moi with bowls.