Air fryer chicken legs: Crispy on the outside and juicy inside. These wonderfully seasoned chicken drumsticks are quick, simple, and incredibly versatile: they can be easily cooked either in an oven or an air fryer.
Air fryer chicken drumsticks recipe
Cooking in the air fryer means all of the delicious finger-licking goodness of fried chicken, but without the added fat.
Flavor and texture are a big reason why this air fryer legs recipe is so enjoyable. And the key is to season the chicken very well. Then, you need to use a bit of oil to achieve the well-desired golden brown crispy skin and juicy interior.
This post contains affiliate links. See the affiliate disclaimer here.
How to make Chicken Legs in an Air fryer
While it won’t be as crispy and crunchy as the flour-coated deep-fried chicken legs, you will get a nice crisp texture outside with a juicy interior, and each toothy bite will be full of flavor.
Air frying has the same effect as deep frying in that it exposes the food to an intensely high temperature, but the difference is that you don’t need to use lots of oil in an air fryer.
This fast blast of heat makes the perfectly spiced skin of these chicken drumsticks crispy while preserving the tender, juicy meat inside.
In fact, this air fryer chicken leg recipe uses just two tablespoons of oil for 2 lb of chicken. Fast and satisfyingly crunchy chicken without the fat? Yes, please!
So why air-fry chicken?
You might be wondering what the difference between cooking in an oven and an air fryer is. Well, where traditional ovens use a heating element to heat food over time, air fryers use rapid air technology to create an almost instant blast of heat. As a result, they are also smaller and cook more efficiently.
So, you can, of course, cook these chicken drumsticks in an oven, but the faster, hotter, and more even cooking of an air fryer results in that crispy ”fried” finish that we all love.
How long does the chicken take to cook?
These air fryer chicken drumsticks take just 25 minutes in total to make, perfect for those evenings when you want to raid the fridge for a few ingredients and get a delicious dinner on the table with no fuss.
How to prepare the chicken drumsticks for cooking
The first thing you will want to do is put your air fryer on at 400°F and allow it to come to temperature for about 5 minutes. Then, clean your chicken and pat dry with a paper towel. Next, mix the spices and oil in a bowl or bag, coat the chicken evenly, and place it in the air fryer basket. After 15 minutes, flip the drumsticks over and cook for another 10 minutes. It couldn’t be simpler.
What is in the seasoning mix for these air fryer chicken drumsticks?
The seasoning I use for this recipe is a magic mixture of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, curry powder, dried thyme, cayenne pepper, and salt. A perfect balance of smoky, earthy, spicy, and salty flavors that will dance around your mouth and have you dancing around your kitchen!
What should I serve with these air fryer chicken legs?
As these spiced air fryer chicken drumsticks are so versatile, the world is your oyster here.
For a fast but delicious family meal, they are wonderful with my fragrant coconut fried rice with extra veggies. To keep things even simpler, the sweetness of my quick and easy oven-roasted sweet potatoes is divine on the palate with the spice of the drumsticks.
For a game night or casual dinner party with friends, why not serve them as part of a fun, vibrant African meze, along with my taro fries. If you’re feeling brave, add my hot west African pepper sauce for dipping. Everyone will be licking their fingers and diving in for more!
If you loved this recipe, you might also enjoy these Air fryer recipes.
- Easy air fryer whole chicken
- Air fryer frozen salmon fish
- Crispy Air fryer baby potatoes
- Air fryer chicken wings.
- Air fryer turkey wings.
Other chicken leg recipes you might enjoy:
- Make sure to dry your chicken thoroughly after washing it. Too much moisture will hinder that all-important crisping process.
- Don’t overcrowd the Chicken legs otherwise, it will not brown evenly.
- I don’t prheat my airfryer because I see no reson doing that. However, I’m aware air fryer brands differs. So if your air fryer gives better result when you air fry, then, go for it.
- You can check the internal temperature of your chicken by using a meat thermometer put into the thickest part of the drumstick. When it reaches 185°F, you will know that you have perfectly cooked but still tender chicken.
If you don’t already have an air fryer and are looking to invest in one, I recommend this COSORI smart wifi air fryer, especially for large families. There are many available to suit every budget.
- This is a healthy dinner that you can make on a busy night because it takes about 25 from start to finish.
- You have all kinds of seasoning and spices coming together to create finger-licking chicken legs.
- It’s also filling so you’ll feel quite satisfied serving it as your main dish.
- It is super easy to cook, so it’s stress-free and novice-friendly.